Whenever we talk about emails in general, one emailing service comes up in our minds. Gmail, an emailing service that is as close as something can get to perfection. There are tons of people from different regions globally who access their Gmail account every day to perform all sorts of personal and professional tasks by availing themselves of the great filters and features that this webmail service has to offer.
This emailing service comes with a simple and clean user interface that makes sure that the users can access whatever they want to without much fuss. You can also manually set your email up if the automatic method gives you some serious issues.
If you are also an account holder and want to set up your account on an IOS device, then we have the perfect fit for you as today’s blog is all about the same.
Read the blog till the end to know how you can set up Gmail with both IMAP and POP as your account type.
Steps on how to set up Gmail on iPhone
With the use of IMAP
- The first thing that you need to do is to enable the IMAP on Gmail by visiting the settings and clicking on the forwarding and POP/IMAP. Click on the IMAP access from there to enable it to begin with.
- Now, open the settings of your iPhone to proceed further.
- In the settings tab, click on the “password and account” option and then add the account to select Google from there finally. For older versions of IOS, you will need to select Mail>contacts>calendars>add account>Gmail.
- You will need to type your Gmail email address and then click on next.
- Now, enter your mail password correctly and click on next. In case you forgot your password, you can use the password reset link to recover your password,
- You will now need to follow the instructions given on your screen if the two-factor authentication has been enabled on your account to sign in to your account.
- Ensure that the Mail toggled in so you can use the features to send and receive emails without much fuss. Now, enable “other items” to sync calendars, contacts, events, and notes. Save the changes once you are done to make all of them permanent.
Now that we have looked at the steps that one can use to set up Gmail on iPhone with IMAP, let us look at how you can set up Gmail on iPhone with POP3 with relative ease.
- First off, you will need to enable the POP3 on your Gmail. You can do so by visiting the settings and clicking on forwarding and POP/IMAP, and then enable POP for the mail service to begin with.
- Open your device’s settings and locate yourself to the passwords and accounts option to select add account and then click on other to add a new mail account to proceed further.
- Next, you will need to enter your name, email address, and your mail password and click once you are done with all of them.
- Now, choose POP as the email account type and go to the incoming mail server to enter the Gmail POP server settings.
- Hostname: pop.gmail.com in this field
- Username: type out your email address
- Password: enter your mail password carefully in this field
- You can also use the app password instead of the mail password if you have enabled the two-factor authentication.
- Now, direct yourself to the outgoing mail server and enter the Gmail SMTP server settings.
- Hostname: smtp.gmail.com in this field
- Username: type your email address here
- Password: enter your mail password correctly in this field
- Next, save all of the changes you made and then select the account you added from the list.
- You will need to click on smtp.gmail.com from the bottom of your screen and do the same from the top of the page.
- Make sure that you turn the SSL switch on.
- Enter 465 in the port server field instead of the current number and click on done once you do so.
And just like that, you are all set. Keep in mind that you can delete the email on your iPhone without having to delete it from your Gmail account for some specific POP settings on your Gmail account.
You can do so by visiting the Gmail forwarding IMAP and POP settings and then choose “when messages are accessed with POP” and “keep Gmail’s copy in the inbox“.
For any more info or queries regarding the setup of Gmail on iPhone, you may contact the help and support centre of Google. You can also visit the emails crunch website to get answers to your queries.