Home insurance: what does the “Water damage” cover correspond to

There is more than 4000 water damage every day in the US. Due to negligence, a broken pipe or even infiltration, water damage is covered by comprehensive home insurance. Find out about our advice on how to properly take charge of the damage suffered.

What is water damage?

Water damage can occur for many reasons and should not be confused with flooding usually caused by natural disaster or storm. In this case, it is the natural disaster guarantee that comes into play in the event of a ministerial order. In general, insurance companies estimate that the average cost of the claim amounts to € 1,500. Home insurance covers the resulting movable and immovable damage. However, the compensation is more or less attractive depending on the guarantees subscribed. In addition, the procedure is different whether you are the tenant or owner of the property affected by the damage.

What does the “water damage” guarantee cover?

The water damage guarantee covers the consequences of damage caused by water or liquid in the insured property. It appears in the majority of multi-risk housing contracts, which tenants are required to take out. But be careful, all the risks due to the action of water are not covered by all insurance. Coverage varies from one insurer to another. Check your contract carefully to find out the conditions under which you can be compensated.

The following can be covered for damage caused by:

  • Infiltration: through roofs, seals around sanitary installations and through tiles
  • Overflows (excluding floods): a poorly closed tap, an overflowing bathtub, etc.
  • Water leaks
  • Pipe breaks

Blockages: following the obstruction of a duct, for example

The insurer covers the consequences of water damage and not its cause. The responsibility for the installations which are at the origin of the accident is the responsibility of the person responsible for their maintenance. In addition, it is necessary to know the cause of the Water Damage in Las Vegas or different areas of the US, to know if the guarantee can apply.

What to do in the event of water damage?


If it comes from your home, it is necessary to cut off the water supply or, in the event of a major flood, to cut off the electricity as well. Otherwise, notify the occupants of the accommodation where the water damage comes from and complete an amicable report with them.


Send your claim to your insurer within five working days, according to the terms specified in your contract. This period starts from the date on which you discover the water damage. In general, it is a registered letter with acknowledgement of your contact details, the address of the house concerned and your contract number, precisely describing the damage and the origin of the loss.


Do not hesitate to take many photos of the damage and to store the damaged goods as much as possible, even irrecoverable so that the expert appointed by the insurer can examine them. Once you have passed the expertise, you can get rid of it. If you are a tenant, tell your landlord. If you live in a building, you must notify the condominium manager and/or the manager.


With the insurer’s prior agreement, start cleaning, drying and restoring damaged parts of your home. It is advisable to favour drying by natural means (ventilation….) And to avoid the use of heating devices that would cause thermal shocks which could worsen the situation.


Wallpaper peeling, traces of humidity, fungi… Declare them to your insurer! They will be compensated if you prove that they are the result of your water damage.

What are the compensation terms?

It depends on the companies, the complexity of the claim, its amount and the length of time envisaged to settle it. Indeed, some require a search for the causes of the leak and the passage of one or more experts.


When the amount of water damage is low and involves few people, it is possible to resort to the expertise. In this case, an expert calls you and calculates the amount of damage to you. You will be invited to tell him the areas affected by the disaster (ceiling, floor, wall, etc.), the material goods to be replaced as well as describe the nature of the damaged coverings: paint, parquet, upholstery. Based on your statements, the expert will offer you an amount of compensation. It will vary depending on whether you carry out the repair work yourself or go through a professional.

Before accepting the proposal, take the time to take an inventory of the materials and tools you will need for the renovation of your home. If you go through a business, ask for quotes from several artisans. Indeed, the compensation offered by insurance varies a lot and you cannot retract once the proposal has been accepted.